People say I'm a dreamer...I call it a defense mechanism against life.

Monday, August 06, 2012

The Gamble...

The boy was finally enjoying success in his professional life, he had found a steady job where he worked hard but his opinion was valued and his efforts seemed to be recognized. Turns out he was on his way to being somebody someday, despite what everyone thought of him! The Girl felt hopeful that a future together, was now a possibility and not just an improbable dream. The problem was that this job took him all over the place and he now rarely spent time in the city where he had met the Girl, where they had fallen in love. The Girl however, was still in the city, which now seemed so empty and so foreign without the Boy. Her only comfort came at night with the ring of her phone; it was the Boy’s daily call. She would be greeted by a voice that was familiar in a way that a pleasant memory is; it was a voice that belonged to a happier time that now only seemed to exist in the past. He would start by telling her about his day, and then it would be her turn to do the same, they would exchange a few laughs and soon enough the Boy would start yawning and they would say goodnight. These exchanges were pleasant but void of any real passion, the kind that comes from physical proximity and a shared existence.

So the days turned to weeks and the weeks to months, and that nightly ritual just didn’t cut it anymore. She tried to stay positive, focusing only on the deep love she felt for the Boy and the promise of happier times with him by her side, but a voice inside her head kept telling her that this was no way to live, this was no way to love.

So one night, sick of the crippling loneliness she decided to call up the boy to ask him if this long distance arrangement was a temporary thing, because she couldn’t take it for much longer. She hoped to hear that the Boy didn't want to be away from her for that much longer and somehow they would figure out how to be together. However, what she got was a sobbering dose of cruel reality. The boy answered a bit irritated “I don’t know, I really don’t think about these things, lets worry about them later. Right now I’m just working my ass off, so I can have some sort of future, this kinda feels like my last chance."

“I’m just so damn tired of always being alone", exclaimed the Girl. “What do you want me to do? Do you want me to quit my job, and put a ring on your finger and be together all the time? Would that make you happy?" -asked the boy angrily.

“Now you’re just being a douche!” said the girl with her heart in a knot. “You know I would never ask that of you and you would never do that for me. All I ask is for you to leave some time for us, otherwise we wont make it! I cant keep fighting for a place in your life, only you can grant me that."

She wanted so badly to make the boy understand her anguish, but then she realized it was pointless, the Boy had made his choice a long time ago. "You know what, I’ve heard enough", said the Girl with an unexpected determination in her voice. “When you play poker you always have to trade in a card to hopefully get the one you want, I'm the card you're trading in for what you believe to be success. Guess you have to take chances in life, the problem is you went and gambled with a girl's heart."

No comments: